Tuesday, September 22, 2009

My background in technology is extensive, and oddly enough, it is a hinderance in this course. I am trying to engage my peers in discussions, but find it hard to not "take over," or in critiquing their work, overwhelm them. We shall see on the next activity.

My background is that I worked for Broderbund Software/Learning Company (now a part of houghton mifflin, but think kidpix, Carmen Series, Printshop, etc) on direct to consumer sales and marketing, Harvard Graphics (which then was supplanted by MS's Powerpoint) demonstrating and selling, and selling integrated online and print marketing campaigns.

I can give numerous examples of technology misuse or myths that I see happening in the education field. Technology is a tool. When a new tool comes along it is used in every concieveable way. Sometimes, it just doesn't work.

One example is a good friend who tried to start a "virtual" church. He is a Methodist pastor in a mid-sized urban church. It was a great experiment, but didn't work. The on-line experience is too ephemeral and individual. Community and immediacy just was not there. People will start relationships online, but they still meet face to face. In my opinion, church still needs to meet in person.

Anyway, technology is simply a tool. A nifty presentation or slick newsletter that lacks good educational content is still a poor teaching tool. I can't tell you how many times I saw or participated in a presentation that was "pretty" and was a complete and utter waste of time. I also think a more effective presentation tends to be one that does not focus on "bells or whistles." It does not detract from your educational objective.

No comments:

Post a Comment