Sunday, September 13, 2009

My Theory of Learning or Getting Students to Ask Questions

Herbert (Tad) Brickson
Basically, people learn when they ask questions. My more formal definition currently is that Learning is a multifaceted event centered on the individual. Learning has four basic parts: question, answer, test, and refine.
I have had two real challenges. One regarding a situation where you don't have adequate prior knowledge. The second challenge focused on small questions and small integrated learning events.

So I will set up two comment areas
First:
For the lack of prior knowledge, I reflected on how someone in a concentration camp is faced with an unthinkable situation. I proposed Victor Frankle’s book “Man in Search of Meaning” as a way people “asked” questions about an impossible situation or a situation that one had little prior knowledge.
Victor Frankl arguing against reductionism and importance of meaning
A discussion of learning with little to no prior knowledge
Tell me what you think below
Subject Author Replies Views Last Message
No Comments

Second:
The second question focused on small learning outside the class room and no real question to ask. My current thought is when learning gets to such a simpe task, then it isn't learning until it makes some "sense" or connection with other information. My example is a computer that memorizes data and doesn’t understand. Issac Asmov I, Robot and Star Trek's officer Data are not real computers. We are getting closer, but I don't think computers learn.

Everything Asimov which includes I, Robot

MIT and Artificial Intelligence
Feel free to comment below:

No comments:

Post a Comment