Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Online discussions

My first experience as an online discussion and as discussion leader did not go well. The group was late selecting a group leader, people did not adhere to deadlines and then I lost my connection to the internet right at our deadline and had to buy a new computer before connecting back to the group. As a leader and a teacher, I was not quick enough to identify that our group was not going to be able to pull this together, and losing my connection caused the group to miss our deadline.
I should have identified there was a potential challenge when we were unable to chose a leader in a timely fashion. The first post regarding next steps (or process) was from Rebecca asking "Has anybody decided if they would like to be our leader?? "
I replied the next morning on the 9th
"I will volunteer to be leader for group.
1) Everyone will need to check in with an OK to proceed- or provide alternative.
2) If this is OK with everyone, then we can agree on process to evaluate it list and then discuss classification."
3 of the group out of 4 responded their approval in 24 hrs. On the morning of the 1oth, with just 3 approvals I wrote "
I will proceed as if you are OK with me leading. If not or if you prefer to lead then let us know. I will be happy to relinquish the reigns of power.

First, we need to decide on the IT list we will use. Read everyone's and submit your votes here. begin thinking how you want to organize the list."

One person submited categories or ways to organize. I attempted to refocus group to task on chosing a list, and begin to organize the list.

One person responded in a timely fashion. I was unable to access the discussion group on Saturday and only one person was concerned we did not have anything to post. I pullled together the information available and submited our list for Greshem late organized according to software/hardware and by instruction or non-instruction.

I will hopefully lead this group again, assign specific tasks with deadlines far in advance, and identify leverage or motivation to get this done in a timely manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment